I often ponder upon the challenges I have faced. I wonder how and why things happen the way they do or what it is that I am supposed to learn from these experiences. I believe that my understanding of the atonement and my belief in a resurrection is key to overcoming obstacles, but today I had an additional thought that made me feel gratitude.
When I was visiting my sister Cindy's Sunday service, one of the teachers talked about a family who had recently lost their young adult child in a car accident. When the mother was asked how she got through such a trying experience, her response was, "When the accident occurred, my cup was full."
I have since thought a lot about her statement. None of life's great challenges can ever be prepared for. You may think you know how you would react, but until you have experienced your own Gethsemane you know little of it's depths of sorrow or pain. What I am beginning to appreciate is this woman's understanding of timing.
As I thought about my own great challenges I began to see a pattern. My trials all seemed to occur during times when my cup too was full. They did not occur when I felt spiritually weak or empty. They did not happen when I was alone or dealing with other major stresses. I'm not saying that life isn't stressful or that at times the little things can't feel overwhelming, but I am saying that the Lord seems to know when we will be able to handle great difficulties and gives us the time and resources to overcome them.
I am grateful for the tender mercies of the Lord. For his loving kindness, and for the understanding he has given me as I continue to face the challenges of mortality.
1 comment:
Amen. I thought of you today when Elder Hales told us that Christ will not leave us alone in our personal Gethsemane. I hope your cup is full today--and I hope you know that you have helped me fill mine many times over the years. Love you!
Post a Comment