In New Mexico you can buy just about any kind of firework out there. I assume they think that people aren't idiots and will use them safely, which is all well and fine, but when the wind kicks up fireworks take on a whole new dimension. Now, I can't claim to be firework literate and usually I go to the stands, pick out ones that look cool and buy them. Well this year we bought something called a Desert Bloom (or something to that effect). Apparently it begins like your standard fountain, pretty sparks, changing colors, etc. . . , but then it launches 5 different rockets up in the air and they explode, like the fireworks you see on the fourth of July. I bought two of these bad boys and the first one went off just fine; the second however, had issues. The wind had kicked up in the area that we were lighting fireworks and so it knocked the second desert bloom on it's side. It took about five seconds for the dads to react and immediately run over to the firework and kick it a different direction. Me not thinking had assumed that by knocking it over, the firework would go out, but then all of a sudden the rockets started firing in every direction. (At ground level) Luckily no one was hurt and we had a hose nearby, but I learned why it is that most places don't sell these things.
So for those of you who can't buy fireworks, I included a link that should allow you to at least experience some virtual ones. www.maylin.net/Fireworks.html
I hope you all have a happy safe fourth.
1 comment:
Ha! The description of the event just doesn't do it justice, does it?! I wish we had pictures! Video would have been awesome! Making memories!
Post a Comment