Twilight (by Stephenie Meyer) Okay, so this one has me baffled. I have heard a lot of people tell me how much they love this series, and so I thought I would try this one out. All I can say is that whoever thought that she was the next JK Rowling, must have never read a Harry Potter book. I must admit, the first half of the book was both entertaining and somewhat captivating, but then it becomes ridiculously obsessive. The female character (Bella) begins as an independent, intelligent, teenager who lacks self confidence and becomes an obsessive teenager who has totally lost her identity and likes the fact that her boyfriend is both dangerous, disturbed, and has to know what she is doing every second of the day. (Sounds abusive to me. . . and this book is written for teenagers). Oh and did I mention that it's okay to sleep with your vampire boyfriend as long as you don't have sex. I guess I was just a little disappointed that this book was written by an LDS author.
Fablehaven "Grip of the Shadow Plague" (Book 3 in Brandon Mull's series) By far the best book in the series. His first book was a little long at times, but the second and third books have really begun to impress me. I almost grabbed a highlighter and started to mark sections that really were inspiring. I started reading these books with my girls and they love them. The second and third books are a little scary at times, so you may not want to read it with smaller children. If you are looking for a fun read, you might want to consider the Fablehaven series.
The Uses of Adversity (by Carlfred Broderick) A small book that was adapted from a talk given on Adversity at BYU. It's both practical and inspirational, however I would be careful recommending this book to someone going through a difficult time in their life. It is incredibly blunt and realistic and may not be as appreciated by someone who is struggling.
Life Expectancy (by Dean Koontz) This book will keep you on your toes all the way to the end. I am not an avid Dean Koontz fan, but my husband recommended this book and I really liked it. Basically you've got a kid who's grandfather predicts 5 terrible days that this boy will experience just before the grandfather dies. You will come to see that each day is truly an adventure and your view of clowns may be altered forever after reading this. I never really liked clowns to begin with, so I guess I wasn't to disturbed by their psychotic tendencies. Enjoy.
The Last Lecture (by Randy Pausch) and The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (by Alexander McCall Smith) These are the two books I am working on now. I will let you know what I think later.
Hope you are all enjoying your summer. Let me know if you have read any great books lately. I am thinking I may have to hit up Jane Austin next. Hasta. . .
7 comments:
Re: Twilight.
I have read all the books in the series, and I had some of the same thoughts. I loved the story line, yet I found Bella to be the most annoying character and her relationship with the vampire to be really weird at times. At times, I felt like the dialogue read like a bad soap opera. Also annoying, in the second book, it took Bella 200 pages to figure out what the reader knows on page 10, which drove me nuts and made her even less likeable.
Glad to know that I'm not the only one who didn't really enjoy Twilight. I can't believe you were able to get through the second and third books. The book I bought had the 1st chapter of the second book as a teaser in it. I couldn't get through the first 5 pages of it. I was really hoping the writing would improve, but it was just more of the same, so I said forget it.
Glad to know that I'm not the only one who didn't really enjoy Twilight. I can't believe you were able to get through the second and third books. The book I bought had the 1st chapter of the second book as a teaser in it. I couldn't get through the first 5 pages of it. I was really hoping the writing would improve, but it was just more of the same, so I said forget it.
I love to read and there is a great website where you can rate and compare books with your friends www.goodreads.com you chould check it out.
I liked the Twilight series, but I am not as obsessed with it or in love with Edward as others are. I thought he was a little creepy, and I DO NOT think this is a book for teenagers. I just read her book for adults, The Host, and I thought it was great. I will be reading the last book in the Twilight series when it comes out next month, just so I can see how it ends.
Hey lady! I'm glad I could learn about those books since I never read and I just learn through you. Thanks, oh and by the way, why read when you can just watch the movie right?? haha
Shows you how much my brain capacity holds... nothing!
I thought that the twilight series was a fun read but I found myself not so obsessed as everyone else if with it. I also was a little disappointed that the author is LDS. The relationship is definitely not a good teenage relationship.
Entertaining, but not a series to revolve your life around.(like so many do)
I will read the last one, but these are not my favorite books.
I am reading an interesting book about learing styles and knowing your child's individual learning style. This is important to me since I will be homeschooling this fall. It is good though for anyone who has children, works with children, etc. So far the book is great and very helpful to me but I will let you know when I finish it.
Post a Comment