June 19, 2011

Swimming Lessons



For the last three years, we have been taking swim lessons at the rec center near where we live. I don't know about any of you, but when I was a kid, I did one session of swim lessons and knew how to swim. Things seem to have changed a bit since then. Classes focus first on getting kids comfortable in the water and then, when they are ready, they let them swim.





Well. . . . that kind of method is all fine and good for the kid, but for the parent who shells out $45 every two weeks to find out her child is still in Level 2 (for the 4th time) it's a little depressing. So I did what every loving parent does, I threw Joey in the deep end of the pool hoping he had actually learned something. He surprised himself when he realized he could "FLOAT" (aka: doggy paddle and not sink). Ever since then we are well on our way to Level 3. HOORAY!!!! Can I say it's about time.



Jake, on the other hand, has really taken off this year. He advanced to level 4 after his first 2 weeks and is now learning different strokes and how to dive. It's been fun to watch his comfort level in the water grow. With Joey actually trying to swim and Jake on his way to swim team, I may just have 4 swimmers by the end of the summer. Okay, maybe I am being overly optimistic, but a girl can hope right?

No comments: