In my opinion:
I am not one that believes in taking a lot of drugs even when I am sick. As my husband states, "You are just putting more poisons into your body, so it's up to you to way out the options." Are some medicines necessary? I think so. I do however have a problem with the government mandating you to put something into your body that you don't want to. Having said all of that. Here is what I have learned about the H1N1 Virus.
Apparently the H1N1 virus is common in a combination of animals, birds, pigs and humans. Basically it's a mutant. The original belief that it came from pigs in North America is wrong, I believe that is why they have renamed it.
What is the H1N1 Virus?
It's a severe upper respiratory infection that attacks the lungs. The virus presents like the flu, but is significantly more deadly to people between the ages 25-40 then the common flu. I asked my husband why this particular virus was effecting 25-40 year olds. He explained to me that because 25 to 40 year olds have strong immune systems, their bodies go crazy trying to fight off the disease. As a result, people are having kidney failure and a number of other problems resulting in death. Something my husband had commented on was the fact that this particular virus may have been around for a while. They are finding in adults over 60 that some have immunities against the disease. Children have weaker immune systems, so they fight the disease at a more tolerable rate causing fewer fatalities.
Keep in mind every year 36,000 people die from the flu and over 200, 000 are hospitalized. Between Aug. 30, 2009 and Oct. 10, 2009 there have been 4,958 laboratory confirmed hospitalizations due to the H1N1 virus and 292 deaths.
Now whether you decide to get a flu shot or not, or the H1N1 flu shot or not, make sure that you know everything about the disease and about the vaccine. Some flu vaccines contain mercury, eggs, and potentially dangerous substances for people who's bodies are either allergic or highly reactive to low dose poisonous substances. Education is key. Know your body, and then "way your options." Good luck, stay healthy!
10 comments:
Hey Diana, I love reading your blog. We really miss your family but are so glad to hear all is well. Thanks for the info on the
H1N1. It was very helpful for me!!
Since I didn't see your conversation with your friend on FB, I'm a little unclear if you are for or against the vaccine. Or perhaps, you're weighing the options still, too.
I'd like some clarification here. You wrote, "I do however have a problem with the government mandating you to put something into your body that you don't want to."
To mandate means "to require; make mandatory." What has the government required or mandated us to put into our bodies?
It seems to me that the government has taken great steps to make sure there is enough vaccine for the people who want it, but there is no mandate to receive the H1N1 vaccine. I've filled out permission slips for all of my kids because their schools will be offering the vaccine at some point, and I could check the YES box, or the NO box.
I'm especially interested in this issue because, being pregnant, I'm supposed to be one of the people that really should get it. So, I'm interested to hear what doctors and the people married to them would do in my situation...
The government has not mandated the vaccine, there is only talk that they will do so. I am simply against government controls on individual freedoms. One of the things, my friend had discussed, which is why I added that part in.
I didn't want to give you my opinion about the vaccine, because I want people to decide on their own. Personally I and my children have not been given the H1N1 vaccine as of yet. Yearly we do get the flu shot because I have two kids with asthma.
Living in St. Louis, we were a lot less sick when we got the flu shot. I don't like some of the things in the H1N1 vaccine, so I am holding out on that one. Chad will get it because he works at the hospital and it is required of him. (Part of the first issue that health care workers are upset about)
My point is that yes this is a scary virus, but no it is not as widespread as they originally thought it would be. So you have to way the pros and cons, and look into what is in the vaccine you are taking before you just go out and get injected.
What things that you don't like are in the H1N1 vaccine that are not in the seasonal flu vaccine? Thimerosal is in both injections, or not, depending on the manufacturer (CDC web site).
I am confused about this whole issue for this reason: I and my whole family always get the seasonal flu vac, and it's always worked out great -- our family gets a few winter coughs and colds, but no debilitating flu (so far, 10 years and counting). Two years in a row, my oldest has had perfect attendance at school. I also take extra steps to seek out the thimerosal-free versions, which required placing a special order through my doctor when I was pregnant with the twins, but has been easy in St. Louis, because Barnes offers it for free.
But, I have several friends who also get the seasonal flu every year who are NOT getting the H1N1, but the only reasons I've heard so far are appeals to authority -- "my doctor said no, it's a baaad vaccine." Our pediatrician and my OBGYN are in favor, so....?
Clarification in last paragraph: I have friends who get the season flu VACCINE every year, who are refusing the H1N1 vaccine.
I need to clarify on my husband. He told me that he is getting the H1N1 vaccine because he is exposed to it every day and doesn't want to get sick, not just because he has to.
There are two big companies putting out the H1N1 vaccine. One company is putting out the vaccine Adjuvent the other big one talked about is called Celvapan. In Germany there is a huge upset because the political leaders and military are being given Celvepan while all the pregnant women, children, etc. are being given Adjuvent.
Celvapan apparently contains fewer side effects then Adjuvent. Adjuvent is made with Squalene (which is a form of mercury). According to my husband, it's just bad stuff. It's been correlated to Autism and the Gulf War Syndrome but not proved. There have been 23 deaths related to the vaccine in Germany, but because I forget how they worded it, "the pregnant women and children have strong immune systems" the risk is low.
Thimersal is just a preservative that is rarely used in making vaccines anymore. Not really an issue in the H1N1 debate.
For these reasons, I say, just know what you are getting not all H1N1 vaccines are the same, nor are they made with the same ingredients. Before you go out and get a shot, find out what you are getting. Until I know that I can go to the Dr. and be given an H1N1 vaccine that I approve of, I'm not going to be having my children vaccinated with something that is sufficient but potentially harmful.
Remember, flu vaccines only build immunities for a few years and they only safeguard you against one strain of the influenza virus. As much as I hate getting sick they are finding antibodies in adults over 60 that fight off the H1N1 virus. So, chances are that this virus has been around for awhile, and if we do fight it off, we may be less vulnerable to deadly influenza viruses in the future.
Gov't does require military personnel to get the H1N1 shot. My husband just had to get it...and didn't want it.
I've never given the flu shot to my kids (and they have never had the flu). I've received the flu shot on 3 separate occasions and have always gotten sick about 2 days later. Coincidence? Probably, but it was enough for me not to get it again or have my kids get it. I won't be having the kids get the H1N1 vacccine, either. Just not enough research for me to feel safe about it.
Your husband (and you too!) might be interested in my husband's website:
http://freemeninstitute.com
He would love any article submissions, especially from fellow doctors!
(I found your discussion here through a mutual friend, Susie Winston Barlow)
Happens even more cheerfully :)
Hey babe! I just googled my name (do it every once in a while) and this comment thread came up. Do you mind taking Emily's comment off since it has my whole name on it. Really not that big of a deal, I just don't like to find myself on google. Gracias. :)
BTW I've loved all the latest posts. Your kids are so much fun.
Post a Comment