About a week ago Chad's mom found out that she had Cancer. They don't know exactly where or to what extent the cancer has spread, but we decided to go spend some extra time with Chad's parents this Thanksgiving. On Saturday we left early and arrived in Sandy around 7:30 pm.
It was snowing when we arrived and continued to snow into Sunday morning. The kids were thrilled and didn't waste any time after church building snowmen with their bare hands on Grandma's porch.
For those who preferred to stay warm, game playing became the afternoon activity.
Monday morning Chad and I had the opportunity to participate in a live session at the Salt Lake Temple and by the time we left to go back to Grandma's house, the snow had mostly disappeared. Looking for other fun activities, we finished buying presents for cousins and in laws, and went bowling for Family Night.
Carlee got so excited when she bowled. They had this cool device that allowed her to roll her ball down a sloped guide towards the pins. She ended up getting a strike and a few spares.
In the end, Carlee had the second highest score. I only beat her by one.
On Tuesday we went to BYU to visit campus and take a tour. Becca was excited to talk to our tour guide about her future goals, but the other kids all just wanted to see where Studio C was taped.
Later Tuesday evening we stopped in on a Book Signing in Salt Lake City. Brandon Mull is one of my kid's favorite authors. Sara and Jake were both a little star struck. Sara was happy to tell him that she had already finished his most recent book from the 5 Kingdoms Series (2 days after it came out). As a little bit of a spoiler, he told us that we would really enjoy books 3 and 4, but book 4 is Brandon's favorite.
On Wednesday we went over to Temple Square and while Chad and Rebecca did Baptisms, I took the rest of the crew to see the Conference Center, temple grounds, tabernacle, Christus Statue, Behive House and the Church Office Building.
We ended the trip with lunch at the Lion house. It was really good.
By Wednesday evening, aunts, uncles, and cousins began to arrive. Carlee really liked all of the attention she received by EVERYONE, but especially Uncle Frank. I think she felt the most comfortable with him because he looks a lot like her daddy.
Grandma reserves the church building right across the street from her house for meals when the family arrives. After cooking all day, we went to the church for a wonderful thanksgiving meal and a few rousing games of Dodgeball in the gym.
With 25 people in one house, it gets a little tight, but we had fun bonding with family. On Friday we celebrated Christmas with Chad's family. All of the younger cousins exchanged gifts, while the older cousins and adults had a gift exchange. Then siblings and parents exchanged presents and we spent the evening visiting and eating more pie.
Sadly, the fun came to an end for us as we packed up the car and drove home Saturday morning.
I am grateful for family. I am grateful for time. Moments like these, and time spent together are priceless gifts infinitely greater than big screen TV's and electronic toys. How grateful I am for the knowledge I have of a Savior and the hope His gospel provides. I can't imagine eternity without all the people I have grown to love here on earth. I look forward to happy reunions and everyday we have together right now. Life is a gift, one that I am eternally grateful for.


2 comments:
I know how crazy life gets when I go visit family in Texas. If you are ever back up here and you have a few extra minutes, I'd love to meet up with you. Glad you had a great visit
Thanks. I would love to visit as well. I will let you know when we plan to be in Utah during the summer. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas Holiday.
Post a Comment