I often think that I am past feeling an overwhelming attachment to things. I don't have much that I can truly call my own. Most things I shop for go to my kids, our home, friends, people in need, or my husband. When I realize that I have a hole in my jeans, I go buy a new pair, but I really am a jeans and T-shirt, no frills kind of mom.
About three months ago, ipad minis went on sale at Target. With my cousin's employee discount and a red card I paid between $160-170.00 for the device. Since I don't have a cool phone, ipod touch, kindle, or any other electronic device, I was not only excited about my new purchase, but determined to take good care of it.
I started off only using a stylus on my ipad mini. I didn't even pull the ipad out of the box untill I had a good case to put it in; and only MOM was allowed to use it. As time passed, my 3 year old Carlee bit off the rubber portion of my stylus, and I gave in and allowed the free online story book apps to entertain her.
Today, was one such day, when Carlee asked to play with my ipad. I was in the middle of preparing dinner and so I handed it to her in the kitchen and went back to what I was doing. A few seconds later I heard something fall onto the tile and my husband report that Carlee had just cracked the screen on my ipad.
I was not happy.
I looked at her and promptly went back to what I was doing. Carlee's little head hung down and she ran off into the other room crying. I ignored her, and feeling rather frustrated, finished the dinner, ate and left to pick up my older girls from dance.
After a much needed brake from the situation I returned, no longer upset, to my home. I sat down on the couch and picked up Rebecca's History book in preparation for our review when quietly Carlee entered the room and said, "Mom, I'm sorry. Can I have a second chance?"
Things. . . I can't believe that for even a few moments I allowed Things to determine my level of happiness. If everything I owned. . . my home, car, gadgets, new furniture, etc. . . were gone tomorrow, would I find that it ever really mattered. . . . Really?
While experiencing moments such as these, I am reminded of my own physical limitations and weaknesses. I stand in awe to think that our Savior, Jesus Christ never once found himself subject to the Things of this world. He overcame the world and because of His eternally redeeming love, finds ways to teach, forgive and help us to do the same. What a beautiful gift, and poinient lesson He has taught me today about Things.
No comments:
Post a Comment