November 10, 2013

Joey's Baptism

There have been a lot of neat, humerus and inspirational moments leading up to and throughout Joey's Baptism and so I thought I would share some of those experiences. 

We have been blessed through the years to have our own special baptism day for each of our kids.  Some friend's of ours had asked if we could combine with them and have a joint baptism with their son Hyrum.  We agreed and Joey began to plan his special day. 

 Joey has come a long way since January when he wasn't sure he was ready to get baptized, but there were still some things he was unsure about.  When we asked him who he wanted to baptize him, he said, "Mom."  We explained that mom didn't have the priesthood and so he chose dad and asked me to give the talk on baptism. 

As we were getting closer to Joey's baptism, Carlee started talking about her brother Josh.  When we would ask her where Josh was, she would say, "At church." 


 On the day of Joey's baptism, I went into a small room to go over my talk.  I had written it a few days before the baptism and had been so busy with company that I hadn't had a chance to read through it out loud.  As I sat alone in the room, I could feel and hear a voice that said, "Mom, I'm here.  I just wanted you to know that."  I thanked him for coming and the feeling faded.  I know that Josh was at church for Joey's baptism. 





 As the baptism began, I realized for the first time that we were baptizing, Joseph and Hyrum and their names suddenly brought an added portion of the spirit.  I thought of Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum.  I thought of all those two boys had been through together and I wondered about the road that lay ahead for these two little 8 year olds. 



 The cute older lady in the back is Ms. Anna Heald.  She is 82 years old and a convert to the church of about two years.  She visits with us, usually once a week, and so when we were passing out invitations, Joey wanted to invite her.  She hadn't been feeling well, but because Joey gave her an invitation, she came. 


 With changes being made to the scripture format, they no longer offer the blue sets that Joey had always wanted.  Watching how my older kids used their ipods, ipads and kindles to read scriptures I thought it might be a good idea to ask Joey if he wanted a Kindle with the scriptures on it, or the actual book form in a different color.  He chose the kindle and so we got him the paper white version so that he wouldn't be tempted with games, movies or the internet.  We even got a blue cover and so he officially has his scriptures with the blue cover. 


My mom started a tradition years ago with Rebecca.  For each of the grand children's baptisms she gives them a comforter with pictures of them from birth until their 8th birthdays.  She does this to remind them that the Holy Ghost is a comforter and will not only teach us truth, but will comfort us.  Then about two years ago she also started giving the kids a compass that they could attach to their backpacks, symbolic of the Holy Ghost's ability to lead us and give us direction throughout our lives.  I love grandma's traditions. 

Joey's baptism was a beautiful day.  I am so grateful to watch my children grow and better understand the gospel.   I hope that Joey will always remember the way that he felt when he was baptized and the spirit that was there. 

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Congratulations to Joey! How neat that a Hyrum was baptized that day too. I love the quilt from your Mom, what a great gift!

There have been a handful of moments where I have felt my Mom was with me. Praise God for those moments.