My husband has spent a lot of years studying and training to be the person he is today. Feeling the need to lessen his load somewhat, there are a lot of family details he has not had to worry about. The other night he was taking a series of tests as part of his ACLS re-certification process for the hospital. At about 11:30pm he came out of our room and the following conversation occurred.
Chad: Is it really 11:30 at night?
Diana: Yes.
Chad then starts to look around the house
Chad: Is this what you are doing every night after I go to bed?
Diana: You mean, when you wake up and the kitchen's clean, the floors are vacuumed, the laundry is folded and put away, and the toys are picked up?
Chad: Yah.
Diana: Yes. It's the only time I can get things done without someone immediately making another mess. It's a lot faster this way.
Chad: Wow! Your amazing.
I love the days when you realize that things don't magically just happen. Sometimes I like to think that if I don't do something, it won't really matter. That somehow God will make up the difference in areas that I lack or fail to find time for. Imagine if my husband decided not to go to work each day and money didn't just magically appear in my checking account every other week, or I just stopped taking care of the house, buying food or picking up the kids from school. I am learning more and more that even though life goes on and God does indeed take care of needs we fail to acknowledge, we are the ones who emerge less aware and less the person we could have been had we acted with more diligence.
When I listen, follow and strive to act upon moments of insight, I start to see all of the ways with which the Lord is blessing me, my family, and others around me. I also begin to see how in doing he is helping me to not only be better then who I currently was, but to also feel better about myself, and the people I have served in my community. I can honestly say (like the three little aliens in Toy Story) that I am eternally grateful for God's goodness, his blessings, and his grace that has so often fallen upon me.
No comments:
Post a Comment