March 10, 2011

My Little Girl is Growing Up



Rebecca had her first overnight trip for jazz band two weeks ago. When I had originally asked Rebecca if she wanted me to go with her as a chaperon, but her answer was a quick, "NO!" So, this was the first time that I wasn't a part of her performance experience.

The kids were all leaving on a bus Thursday morning and were returning to the school Saturday evening after a local benefit concert. The first night Rebecca was gone I received a quick call from a friend's cell phone letting me know that they had arrived safely. After that, I heard nothing. Saturday night came and I was happy to see that my daughter was still both alive and happy.



Rebecca's jazz band performed in Flagstaff on Friday, February 25th. Their group received a Superior with distinction, meaning all 3 judges had awarded the kids a superior rating. Their band director was ecstatic because this was the first time his jazz band had received this type of award. Rebecca came home pumped and excited for her next trip to CA in April.


I am so proud of Rebecca for all of her hard work and dedication, but I am still struggling with separation anxiety. I guess I need to deal with the fact that my little girl is growing up. I never thought that it would happen so quickly. One day you are a part of everything your child is experiencing and the next day they're off traveling the world. (Or at least the state. . . I'm a girl, I can be dramatic Right???) The point is, my baby is almost a teenager and I can't remember how I got here. I still feel like a kid myself, but I guess that's a part of growing up too. I am so blessed to be the parent of such a beautiful young woman.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

AWESOME!!!!! She is a beautiful young woman!!! Miss you guys.