June 19, 2010

Joshua Went Home Today

Today was probably the most emotionally challenging day of my life. I want to document things I haven't written a lot about so that I can remember.

June 12th, 2010 Joshua David Prior was born.

A tear in Joshua's umbilical cord (something we found out later was caused by an anurism in one of the blood vessels of his umbilical cord) left our cute little boy deprived of blood and oxygen. He was born without a heartbeat and had lost over half the blood in his body. The NICU team at St. Jospehs and UMC did an incredible job of resuscitating him, but his body was struggling. Joshua was placed on a cooling blanket in hopes of minimizing the trauma to his brain and other organs, but unfortunately too much damage had already been done.

For 7 days Chad and I watched as different drugs, and machines were used to try and keep Joshua alive. Somedays we would see numbers that looked better then the day before, or hear news that seemed more hopeful then expected, but the fact remained that Joshua still wasn't showing any signs of being able to function on his own.

After 4 days of being off the cooling blanket and all paralytics Joshua still wasn't moving. His brain was damaged and he was constantly having seizures inspite of the 3-5 different medicines he was on to control them. In addition to all this, his kidneys had failed him and his body filled with fluid. His liver that was at one point looking better by last night had started to fail him as well. Joshua couldn't breath without a ventilator, and his heart couldn't beat without 3 different medicines. All of the things they were using to help sustain his life had spent 7 days accumulating inside his little body, and because of his inability to secrete urine, he was becoming more and more bloated.

Last night I couldn't sleep. Chad had talked with me about discontinuing life support, but I couldn't face the idea of it. Around 2 am I went into Josh's room and sat down with him. I talked to the nurse who was working that night about everything Josh was experiencing. Then I talked to Joshua. I began to understand that I needed to let Joshua go. For the first time in days I felt peace.
As morning came we discussed Joshua's situation with the doctors and decided that it was time to discontinue support. Our parents and children came into a private room with Joshua, and I was able to hold him for the first time. Each child took turns saying goodbye while Joey played with Josh's toes. Joshua stopped breathing even before his ventilator was taken out.

At 10:13 am Saturday June 19th Joshua David Prior went home.
I never would have imagined that the little boy who couldn't stop doing somersaults in my tummy and who was developing perfectly would only have one week here on earth to spend with us. I only hope that he knows how much I love him. I never saw him move or open up his eyes, but I am grateful Chad had that opportunity when he was first born.

There were moments, although brief when I knew that he knew I was there. I am grateful to have had a few days with my cute little boy, and I am grateful for the incredible calm that I was able to feel as we let Joshua go. I felt in my heart and in my mind Joshua telling me, "It's okay mom, thank you."

To all of you who have fasted and prayed for our family, Thank you. We could not have made it through this incredibly challenging time without you. We love you all and look forward to one day seeing our cute little boy again.

17 comments:

matt and michelle ray said...

Oh Diana, words can't express how sad I am for you. We are praying for your family. You guys are amazing and such an example to me.

Keiko said...

My heart is breaking for you guys. I just have no words for you guys. We are praying for you and love you guys more than anything.

Sean and Sarah Russell said...

We are praying for you and your family! You guys are a wonderful family and have been an example to us.

Elena said...

Oh, Diana. I don't know what to say. I wish I could make this better for you. I wish I could take some of your pain. I love you and will continue to pray for you and your family.
Elena

Jenn said...

Oh Diana .... I don't know where to begin. I am so lost for words right now. Your family has always had such a special place in my heart. We are praying for you all and love your family dearly.

Leslie Broussard said...

So very sorry to hear about your precious little boy. We will be praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Diana and family...
I am so sorry for your loss. Your mom sent me the link to your blog and I've been praying for you all. THinking of you...
TIffany Hodson

Heather B said...

I'm so sorry. I don't know what else to say. We love you and will continue to pray for your family.

Anonymous said...

Chad and Diana, our hearts are breaking for you. We cannot even know the sadness that you are feeling. Please know that we are here for you for whatever you may need, whenever you may need it. We love you guys and we will be praying for your family.

Chad,Chrissie & the kids

Caralee said...

I am crying tears for you as I read about little Joshua's short struggle on this earth. Your sadness must be overwhelming but you show amazing faith and strength. Your family will continue to be in our prayers. We love you!

Jessica said...

Diana and Chad, and family,

I am so sorry to hear what you've been through and the tough decisions you were faced with. I am amazed at your strength and faith through this. I pray that you will always have that peace and calm, and that God's healing will always be with you. We love you.

Jessica and Mike

Spencer B said...

I don't pretend to even fathom what's going through your minds, but just know there's a missionary praying for you from Bulgaria. I'm glad and proud to call your family dear friends to me and my family.

Spencer B

Natalie said...

Diana, Chad and kids -

You guys have been in my thoughts and prayers constantly. I'm so sorry for the tough times you have faced in short life. It is heartbreaking to read what you guys have been experiencing this last little while. I am grateful that you are at peace with this feel the Holy Ghost's comforting power. What a sweet baby boy. We love you guys.

Unknown said...

We are keeping you in our hearts and prayers. I am so sorry and I am glad that you were able to hold him and you will see him again.

Sara Liechty said...

Dear Diana, Chad and Family,
I am crying so hard as I read this. I just want you to know that Heavenly Father is aware of your family and I know just as you do that you will see and hold sweet Joshua again. Your testimony of faith and the atonement will pull you through this rough patch in your life. I love your sweet family and will continue praying for you!
Love always!
Sara

DebiHope54@gmail.com said...

Chad, Diana, and family! Our thoughts and prayers are with your family at this very difficult time. You really are AWESOME how you are dealing with this very heartbreaking situation. Joshua is one special little boy to have you all for eternity! We love you guys so very much!
Love
Jim and Debi Hope

Alison said...

Diana and family,
I know Josh must be one special spirit child of our Father in Heaven to only need to come to earth for such a short time! I'm so sorry for the loss you must feel and hope that you will feel peace during this trying time. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Alison Rehart West & family