February 17, 2013

Saying Goodbye to Grandma

There are certain people who have been constants in my life.  
My Grandma Brown was one of those people.  

On Sunday, February 10, 2013 she passed away


Grandma Brown outlived all of my other grandparents.  She was spunky and thrifty and in her younger years quite the cook.  She loved to travel and tell us stories about her adventures.  I still remember watching her put on her red lipstick in the bathroom and listening to her tell me that she was scary without it.  One time I was even able to convince her to go on a rather long walk with me.  I was unaware that the walk I was taking her on was 5 miles of uphill dirt roads.  I was only 11 and didn't think about how hard that might be for her, but she did it, and we only stopped to rest once.


My grandfather passed away 4 years ago and she missed him everyday.  At Christmas time we were all together and she commented on how much she missed Grandpa and wanted to be with him.  Two weeks before she passed away, she had a small stroke and fell causing her to break her pelvis.  She's feisty and didn't want to be in the hospital and so she worked at building her strength and was able to walk across the room on her own after only a few days.  Unfortunately, she suffered a second stroke and was admitted to hospice where she spent her final few days in a coma.

We love you grandma.  We know you are happy to be with grandpa again, but we will miss you.

No comments: