This year I wanted to give as many kids as possible lead rolls, so we had two performances and two casts. The undertaking was fairly ambitious, but the kids pulled it off.
In one of the shows, Sara was the Fairy Godmother and she was Hilarious. I was so proud of her. She really played her part well. Not only can she sing, but she can project, act, and making seemingly common lines, really funny.
Rebecca was cast as the evil stepmother in the cast opposite Sara. Rebecca loves dressing up and so watching her dress up and become the evil stepmother was a lot of fun. The hard part about middle school productions is finding boys willing to participate and tall enough to balance out the girls. For Rebecca (who would have preferred being Cinderella) being almost 5'9" meant that she was out of the running for the coveted roll because our prince was just pushing 5'2".
Several of the boys only wanted to be in the crew when we first held auditions. I was able to convince a few of them to take on rolls. When all was said and done, many (including my son Jake) wished they had auditioned for bigger parts. I have a feeling that there might be some competition next year.
I had originally said that I would need 3 years to recover from this production, but by the time it was over I was on such a high that I signed up to do it again next year. "Tale as old as time. . . . . " Can you guess what we will be doing???? Until next year.




No comments:
Post a Comment