March 30, 2014

Moments

There are moments in each day that touch my heart and too often I fail to write them down.  A few weeks ago I found out that I had ordered 5 of my most expensive costumes for Cinderella in the wrong sizes and the mistake was irreversible and non-refundable.  The realization came at a time when I was feeling particularly stressed about having two mortgage payments, student loans, and unexpected expenses, and so I broke down momentarily in front of my children.  That night I received a note on my bed that said, "To Mom."  Inside the makeshift note/envelope were three one dollar bills.  I didn't know who had placed the note on my bed and so I thought it was probably my daughter returning money she had left over from her most recent jazz band trip.    It wasn't until last week that my son Jacob confessed that he was the one who had left the money on my bed.  When I questioned him as to why he had done it, he said, "You were just so sad that you had lost $500 dollars, so I thought I would give you the money I had to help you feel better."  At that moment of realization, the small gesture made by my son meant infinitely more then the money I had lost. 

The past four months have been full of humbling moments.  For years I was blessed with an added capacity and, as a result, I started to find myself feeling irritated by the complaints of others who struggled with what I believed to be a lesser load.  So the Lord decided to let me know just how little Diana Prior could really handle and accomplish on her own.   My experiences taught me about adversity and how it's constant companionship is a schooling tactic to aid in our progression.  In the end, I've learned a lot about myself and about the Lord's ability to help us accomplish tasks that far exceed our natural abilities.

And, on a lighter note, there are moments that have made me smile and chuckle, as parenting often does.  Carlee loves to sing Frozen songs at the top of her lungs, with actions.  I had forgotten what it was like to have a two year old little girl.  She's dramatic, and sweet, and chaotic, and exhausting, but totally and completely loveable.  I asked my husband if Rebecca and Sara were this way and he said, "Yep!" I find myself having to keep a straight face as I'm trying to teach this little ball of fire things like reverence when she can't help but yell out her sibling's name in the middle of sacrament meeting while jumping on them and giving them a big hug. -- Or boundaries as she tries to eat everything, my hair, her bath towel, someone's shoulder.  My life is totally exhausting but 100% satisfying. 

As I look around at each one of my children, I can't help but experience moments of accomplishment and pure satisfaction.  There truly is nothing greater than developing eternal relationships, and helping those you love become the person they hope to be.  Families are wonderful.  Moments are magical, and life truly is good. 

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Your perspective and faith through trials is always so inspiring.

(Is there any girl in America that doesn't like singing Frozen songs at the top of her lungs?)

Prior Family said...

Thanks Jess.