April 23, 2010

Life



It is interesting how chaos seems to come in waves as opposed to sprinkles. This month started off fairly standard. We celebrated Easter and dealt with a small stomach bug. Chad had the first two weeks of the month off and so on April 6th his parents came into town to visit. We were having fun exploring Tucson and playing games when we get a phone call from Chad's brother Dave saying that their youngest son Trevor had been hit by a car.

Trevor was life flighted to the Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City due to skull fractures and bleeding in the brain. The next morning Chad's parents left and went back up to Salt Lake to be with Dave and Melinda. After several days in the ICU, Trevor was cleared to head home to St. George but not without Dave and Melinda both contracting the flu, and then all their children coming down with same thing. Don't you love being in the hospital.

Then we find out that the Father of a young family in our ward (who has been fighting cancer this past year) was only given a few weeks to live. He was a podiatry resident before we moved here and, I believe, just turned 30. It's so sad. When I think about their family situation, my thoughts turn to my friend Rachel who passed away two years ago and everything she went through the year that she was diagnosed. I am humbled by my many blessings.

It is interesting that even with government drama, out of control spending, and natural disasters every time you turn around, you can feel so blessed to have a home a healthy family (at least for the time being) and a job. The world will run it's course and we need to do everything we can to make it the best environment for our children, but I am grateful for the daily miracles I so often take for granted.

There is a line in the play "Our Town" that talks about how in life we never fully appreciate the wonders and beauty that surround us. I think that it is easy to get caught up in the day to day challenges and or monotony and lose perspective.

So for now, I will deal with my costume drama, (I can't seem to be involved in a recital with out having a little bit of that anyways) my husband's crazy schedule and the continued utility and local tax hikes the state of Arizona keeps imposing. (Sorry but when you only consume $22-$25 a month in water, why do you have to pay $75-$78 a month. Oh yaaaaa. . . it's all those OTHER fixed costs.)

All in all I have much to be grateful for. I appreciate the chaos that has helped to renew some perspective in my life. I need that every once in awhile. To the rest of you who have suffered through this long journalistic discourse, thanks for bearing with me. Life is good, and I hope you all have an amazing day.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Diana, I knew there was a reason why I was driven to read your blog tonight. Seriously, your blog was just what I needed to read. We are currently dealing with a Boiling Water Advisory for Cannon AFB (E.Coli was found present in the water - gotta love it here!). I can't tell you how many times during the past couple of days that I have wanted to just scream with this and everything else going on (same old wonderful military life)! THANK YOU for the wonderful reminder and the "renewed perspective" of the many other blessings in our lives right now. You are so right, Life is full of so many day to day challenges, but in the bigger picture, we really are so blessed. I knew there was a reason I needed to read your blog tonight ... :) Miss you a lot & thinking a lot of you & your family!