February 1, 2009

Saying Goodbye to Grandpa Brown












Today at around 4pm my Grandpa Brown passed away.  He has been struggling with a lung disease for some time, but I guess when you live so far away you don't really believe that it's happening.  

I feel pretty lucky to have had my grandpa around for so long.  He's been able to watch me grow up, get married and visit with my children.  Rebecca received her first set of scriptures from my grandpa as a gift for her baptism.  He gave her a pair that he had been using and had his name taken off and hers engraved on them.  I can't think of a more special gift.  

Chad was in Arizona last week interviewing for medical programs and was able to visit for the last time with my grandpa.  My grandpa asked Chad how he was going to die.  Chad said that he didn't really know, but explained the process his body would go through as his ability to breath deteriorated.  Little did we know then that a week and two days later he would be leaving us.  

I love my grandpa.  I love his smile.  I love his optimism.  I loved visiting with him.  He reminds me so much of my dad.  I know that he is in a better place now, but I will miss him.  I love you grandpa.  I can't wait to see you again someday.  


4 comments:

Heather B said...

I'm so sorry. I'm sending a hug your way. Thanks for such a lovely post, and the photos are sweet. Take care.

Jessica said...

Diana, I am so very sorry for your earthly loss. What a gift to know your grandfather and have him with you long enough to see your children. My thoughts are with you.

Steve and Rebecca said...

So sorry about your Grandpa!! How are Chad's interviews going?

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your grandfather, but happy you were able to have him around so long.