April 18, 2008

What you don't know, can hurt your kid's education.

For the last week and a half I have been through the process of having Joey (My two year old) tested for speech delays.  They have a great program out here that allows you to get your child tested and then, if you qualify, they send out a speech pathologist to work with your child on a weekly basis for free.  You can't beat that deal.  So, after filling out paperwork and meeting with the program director, the speech pathologist and having Joe's ears tested, we learn that he does qualify and they will start working with him next week.  

So. . . the good news is that mom isn't crazy and Joey is really having a tough time with his words.  Not only that, but we were able to find out that he isn't processing words with ing endings and some individual object words that we use quite frequently.  This coming from my child that can already pick out any letter in the alphabet and tell you it's name and sound.  Who would have thought.  

In the process of determining all of this we decided to have Sara (my 6 year old) get her ears checked as well.  She had mentioned that sometimes words sounded foggy, and she has really struggled with spelling.  We found out that she has quite a bit of pressure in her right ear and that it's causing problems with her hearing at 2000 and 5000 decibels.  When they asked how long this has been going on I felt really bad because I didn't know.  For all I know it's been going on her entire life.  We just never had her tested before.  

So now we will be visiting with an ENT (ear, nose, throat) physician to see what's next.  It's interesting how one child's speech issues led us to find out another one is having trouble with her hearing.  Moral of the story is. . . . Pay attention to your gut and have your child's hearing and vision tested.  

3 comments:

Jessica said...

It's great that Jake is getting early intervention.

Don't feel about Sara having ear problems for a while -- every parent has stories of a similar nature. We often take our kids in for well child visits, only to find out Avery has an ear infection...for who knows how long? My parents didn't take me complaining about my eyes seriously for YEARS -- when they finally did, I needed glasses.

Mike and Kelly said...

Holy Cow! I hope that everything checks out okay, and that they can help her easily. Mom's can't know everything. It is a good thing that she told you though.

Bobbi said...

Okay, this might sound totally wacky, but it's possible that a chiropractor could help with your kids' hearing issues. Eden was getting a lot of ear infections and my pediatrician started talking about putting tubes in because she kept getting fluid stuck in her eustacian tubes. Then my brother-in-law, who is a chiropractor in Idaho, told me that some chiropractors can actually adjust the eustacian tubes to help fluid drain from the ears. I was very hesitant to take my 7-month-old to a chiropractor, but what my brother-in-law was telling me made sense, so I started calling around and asking questions. Only one chiropractor in the area had any idea what I was talking about, so I went to see her. She showed me how to pull on the outside of the ear in a quick, "J" motion to help open up the canals. A week later, I took Eden back to the pediatrician who said that the fluid was gone and her ears were draining just fine. I'm still anxious to see if Eden gets anymore infections, but if in fact the adjustment does solve the problem, I think it's much better than ear tubes. Good luck!!!