October 8, 2007
NO TV!!!
Okay so Friday I had finally had it. I tried the nice guy approach, but after days of whining and begging for things I got tired of my kids not acting like the sweet young children that they are. So, I grounded everyone from TV until Tuesday. The only exception was conference. Okay good idea, but I was a little bit nervous since my kids were going to be out of school and at home all day with me on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. (Our school had a fall break in conjunction with Columbus Day.) Anyhow it ended up being the best thing I could have done. By Friday night Rebecca goes, "Hey mom, I think this no TV thing is kinda working." The whining had gone down considerably. By Saturday night the kids had exhausted their toys and were now having dance parties with themselves. And today the girls put together a puppet show (as part of our FHE) and started writing a book about it. I was seriously impressed. (Although the puppet show would need some revision if done again in the future.) It's amazing to me that we go from traveling and playing all summer long to school starting, and the TV becomes the sit and veg activity of choice. It was good to get out of that habit for a few days. I may have to extend the no TV idea even longer; It seems to help the gratitude level in our home. So if you are ever having a rough time with your little ones, I highly recommend the idea.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Dang. We rarely watch more than an hour a week, but my oldest is still a total whiner!
Post a Comment