April 7, 2009

American Girl Dolls

For those of you who are not fans of the American Girl doll fad or feel they are to expensive, which I tend to agree,  you may decide there is a reason why so many parents love this product line after viewing their newest DVD.  

On the trip home from my grandfather's funeral, I let the kids pick out a new movie.  Rebecca chose this one.  "Chrissa stands strong."  I didn't think much about the movie, and she watched it in the back of the car on her own, so it wasn't until about 2 weeks ago that I saw this DVD for the first time.  

Chrissa stands strong is about bullying and in my opinion it is the best movie I have ever seen done for children on this topic.  I was so impressed that I lent the movie to some of my neighbors to watch and have their daughters watch.  They were equally impressed.  

So, for as expensive as these dolls tend to be, I love that they help little girls deal with life's challenges without trying to turn them into tweeny boppers too soon.  We stopped watching a lot of the disney tween shows because there is such an over abundance of disrespect towards adults and other people in them.  It may be looked at as just sarcastic or humorous, but my children's attitudes seem to change after watching too many of these shows.  I am really grateful for producers who put out good quality, age appropriate programing.  

So that's my plug.  If you are looking for a good movie to show your girls about bullying check this one out.  You will be happy you did.  

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Thanks for the tip! I haven't heard of this movie but will have to check it out.

I love the American Girl line. I was really concerned when they were bought out by Mattel, because I am very concerned about the media I expose my girls to. But we've been thrilled with the stuff they come out with -- we subscribe to American Girl magazine, which is great -- lots of focus on being strong girls who set goals and do sports and other hobbies, with no focus on boys (plenty of time for that) or make-up. We also have two American Girl books, one about Manners and another about taking care of your body and hygiene. Really, really common sense advice -- highly recommended as well.

What I really appreciate about the dolls is that they are dressed like girls -- not vampy teenagers.