The funny thing is, even though I changed my degree from Dance to Psychology I have taught dance more during the last 10 years then anything else. The psychology comes in handy, but I am far from a paid therapist. I guess I've learned that if you really enjoy doing something, you just need to do it.
The class I teach at Clovis Community College has such a wide variety of students that sometimes I wonder if what I am teaching is too challenging, not challenging enough, etc... Then today one of the ladies came up to me and said, "you know I've lost 15 lbs this semester just taking your class once a week." It made me so happy. I love watching people who have never danced a day in their lives, not only become more coordinated, but develop a talent they never knew they had, and benefit physically from the exercise.
I still wonder from time to time how long I will be teaching dance. This last weekend we had two dancer/choreographers come into the studio I work at and teach master classes, and let's just say that I am seriously getting OLD. I don't think I moved much on Sunday. The motrin helps but man, my body just isn't what it used to be.
The good news is. I love dancing and I am grateful that I have been able to continue doing it for so long. I hope you all make time for something you love. What a dull place this world would be it we never found the time to develop the qualities within ourselves that make us different.
No comments:
Post a Comment